Monday, January 28, 2013

St. Andrews Bay, South Georgia Island, January 6, 2013


Awoke to a 5:30 am wake up call after a rough night.  Did not sleep well as I was coughing and hacking from 2:30 am on.  It sucks being sick. However, onwards and upwards, etc.!

Your intrepid adventurer on the beach. Ski googles were
very useful in the Zodiacs as they kept the spray out of my eyes.
Went ashore at St. Andrews Bay to see what is alleged to be the world’s largest rookery for King Penguins.  Supposed to be more 100,000 pairs of penguins.  This spot is also known as a calving spot for Elephant Seals.  Did see an amazing amount of penguins.  However, the Elephant Seals failed to excite as the numbers are way down since the breeding season is past.





A view of the colony. The white dots in the background are more penguins.
Another view of the colony, looking back away from shore toward glacier.


As I noted earlier, the young penguins look like balls of chocolate-colored fur.  It is hard to see that they are actually covered in feathers.   They are curious animals.  By walking slowly through the margins of the colony and stopping we were able to get within 2 feet of the penguins.  The penguins would peck at the feet or equipment of some of the party.

Sitting on the couch outside my room working on this journal and I was just given a souvenir from my next-door neighbor.  He is Saudi.  His name is Abdul.  The souvenir is a key ring from King Saud University where he works as a professor of geology.

Ashore I saw an altercation between a mother Skua and a Fur Seal.  Basically, it was a draw.  She was protecting her young (two fledglings).  I sat and watched her for a bit as she fed them.  Skuas are opportunistic feeders, eating carrion, eggs, and small creatures. Some in the party got photos of them with their heads inside of dead seals. Very appetizing.


This afternoon they moved the ship to Gold Harbour (English spelling) but I elected to stay aboard as my cold has not improved and I have seen my fill of penguins.  It does sound a little pissy on my part but so be it.

Skua Chicks
Skua vs. Fur Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment